Upper Limb Casts in General
If any of the following are noticed, please report to the Plaster Room that applied the cast or the nearest A&E department:
- Swelling of the fingers
- Blueness of the fingers (other than bruising)
- Pins & Needles of the fingers
- Coldness of the fingers
- Any REAL PAIN in the limb
- Any smell or discharge from the cast (other than sweat)
- For the first 24 hours keep the limb raised all of the time.
- Keep joints not in the cast moving, like the fingers or elbow with a cast on the wrist.
- Keep the cast dry.
- Do not wear jewellery on the affected limb (as it may become stuck if the limb swells up)
- Do not place any objects down the cast (for example, knitting needle, paper clips, pens)